Instead of the results pane, you may instead see at the bottom left corner of SSMS the following messages:
"(Ctrl+R) was pressed. Waiting for second key of chord..." or then "The key combination (Ctrl+R, Ctrl+R) is not a command."
Here's how to remap the Results pane to Ctrl+R, including a picture below.
- In SSMS, go to Tools, Options.
- Under Environment, click on Keyboard.
- In the Show Commands containing box, you're looking for "Window.ShowResultsPane".
- Change the "Use new shortcut in" dropdown to "SQL Query Editor."
- Note: This step is important - mapping Ctrl+R to "Global" won't work.
Updated: 20180105 because again I needed to this blog post as a reference myself, added the chord messages to improve SEO.